IVF in Spain – Everything you need to know
Learn all about IVF in sunny Spain and why it is considered the “Mecca” of IVF in Europe.
Get Expert Advice on IVF in Spain
If you are considering taking the IVF route to pursue your family dreams, you are no doubt anxious to do as much research as possible beforehand so that you can find the best option to suit your own particular circumstances. Here you will find some considerations to help you decide if you are thinking of Spain as a possible IVF destination.
Spain has established itself as a leading IVF destination for its unique combination of affordability and quality, as well as offering a pleasant cultural and climatic environment for aspiring mothers. In this article our IVF experts have summarized the most important facts about IVF in Spain. For more information, schedule a free consultation with one of our experts, or request a quote for IVF in Spain.
IVF in Spain – Facts and Figures
Why choose Spain for your IVF experience?
There are several reasons why Spain is a popular country for IVF seekers, as follows:
- Availability of Clinics: Fertility Clinics are plentiful in Spain and most of them are well run, privately owned facilities.
- Safety Standards: Clinics in Spain are strictly inspected by the regional government and most of them have ISO Accreditation (from the International Standardization Organization in Geneva)
- Accessibility: There are numerous clinics situated throughout Spain and they are readily accessible due to the availability of a number of budget airlines which travel to these locations.
- Positive Outcomes: At the end of the day it is about results and this is in the favour of Spanish Clinics which generally have a high success rate and customer satisfaction, especially with regard to egg donation.
What are the legal aspects of IVF in Spain?
The regional governments of Spain monitor the laws regarding assisted reproduction, the main ones being as follows:
- No Surrogacy: Surrogacy is not permitted or facilitated in Spanish clinics.
- Anonymity: The donors of eggs and sperm remain anonymous.
- Age Restrictions: Most clinics in Spain will not provide treatment for patients beyond the age of fifty, although there is no official legislation regarding age limits.
- Singles: In Spain single women may receive assisted reproductive treatment as well as couples.
- Donor Quantities: One donor may supply a total of no more than six children.
- Embryo Quantities: No more than three embryos may be transferred.
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis: PGD may be used only for medical reasons and choice of sex is likewise prohibited except for medical reasons.
Madrid, Spain’s central capital, is a city of elegant boulevards and expansive, manicured parks such as the Buen Retiro. It’s renowned for its rich repositories of European art, including the Prado Museum’s works by Goya, Velázquez and other Spanish masters. The heart of old Hapsburg Madrid is the portico-lined Plaza Mayor, and nearby is the baroque Royal Palace and Armory, displaying historic weaponry. With restaurants and tapas bars in every corner, Madrid can offer an amazing gastronomic experience to even the most demanding visitor. The City is also the home of quality fertility clinics and one can combine IVF treatment with a tourist experience in Madrid. The international airport of Madrid is a major hub and is very well connected internationally with direct flights.
The cosmopolitan capital of Spain’s Catalonia region is also famous for its fertility clinics. It is a popular destination for city breaks and thousands of tourists flog to Barcelona to experience its atmosphere. Barcelona is known for its art and architecture. The fantastical Sagrada Família church and other modernist landmarks designed by Antoni Gaudí dot the city. Museu Picasso and Fundació Joan Miró feature modern art by their namesakes. City history museum MUHBA, includes several Roman archaeological sites. International flights to the city are direct from most major cities, including transatlantic long-haul flights.
Marbella is a city and resort area on southern Spain’s Costa del Sol, part of the Andalusia region. The Sierra Blanca Mountains are the backdrop to 27 km of sandy Mediterranean beaches, villas, hotels, and golf courses. West of Marbella town, the Golden Mile of prestigious nightclubs and coastal estates leads to Puerto Banús marina, filled with luxury yachts, and surrounded by upmarket boutiques and bars. Marbella fertility clinics offer an attractive option in a great environment. Marbella is situated half an hour away from the city of Malaga and it is served by its international airport. It is also a very close distance (one hour) from Gibraltar international airport that serves several UK destinations.
Alicante is a port city on Spain’s southeastern Costa Blanca, and the capital of the Alicante province. Its old town, Barrio de la Santa Cruz, has narrow streets, colored houses and a nightlife scene. From here, an elevator or a steep climb leads to medieval Castillo de Santa Bárbara, set on a hilltop with sweeping views of the Mediterranean coast. Alicante is also the home of renowned fertility clinics and as it is a holiday destination, it provides a great combination of relaxation during treatment. Alicante international airport is major attraction for charter flights and low cost airlines. In addition, it operates a number of schedule direct flights from most UK and European airports.
Malaga is a port city on the southern coast of Spain known as the Costa del Sol. It is mostly known as a gateway to the golden beaches and high rise apartments of the Costa del Sol so popular with UK visitors. But look beyond that to the culturally rich city centre which competes with Madrid for culture and art. The city has had a revamp in recent years with a new waterfront and is alive with tourism.
Interested in IVF in Spain? Get in touch!
Licensed IVF Consultant
Familitas has partnered with Dimitris Kavakas, one of Europe´s leading experts on IVF travel. We are excited to announce that, for a limited period, Dimitris is offering free consultations to Familitas readers.
Get Multiple Quotes at Once
Why research hours upon hours to compare IVF quotes across different countries and clinics if you can get a personal quote from multiple providers with just a couple of clicks. Request your free quote today and compare all offers at a glance.