IVF in Mexico: Everything you need to know
Have you ever considered seeking IVF treatment in Mexico? If so, this article will highlight some of the important aspects that you would need to consider before taking the significant step of pursuing your dreams for a family through IVF in Mexico.
Get Expert Advice on IVF in Mexico
If you are considering taking the IVF route to pursue your family dreams, you are no doubt anxious to do as much research as possible beforehand so that you can find the best option to suit your own particular circumstances. Here are some considerations to help you decide if you are thinking of Mexico as a possible IVF destination.
Mexico has established itself as a leading IVF destination for IVF travelers from North America due to its proximity and good value for money. In this article our IVF experts have summarized the most important facts about IVF in Mexico. For more information we invite you to schedule a free IVF consultation, or request quotes from IVF clinics in Mexico.
Why choose Mexico for your IVF experience?
Mexico is proven to be a very popular IVF destination especially for Americans and Canadians, and here are some of the reasons for this:
- Low Cost: In Mexico couples are able to receive reproductive assistance at a fraction of what it would cost them in their home countries. In some cases, the cost can be up to 60% cheaper in Mexico than in the USA or Canada.
- Combination of Holiday and Treatment: The so-called ‘medical vacation’ is a win-win in so many ways as you get to relax and enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes of Mexico in between your treatments. This relaxing atmosphere also helps to enhance your experience and chances of success.
- Convenient Travel: For those coming from North America and Canada, Mexico is a convenient, shorter flight away, rather than traveling to Europe or some other more distant destination.
- Good Health and Safety Standards: IVF Hospitals and Clinics in Mexico adhere to international health and safety standards as well as having JCI (Joint Commission International) accreditation.
Mexico is certainly a country where IVF treatments or ‘medical tourism’ is greatly encouraged and facilitated. The laws regarding various aspects of assisted reproduction are as follows:
- Surrogacy: In Mexico surrogacy is not permitted for foreigners or for gay couples. However, chances are good for Mexican citizens and heterosexual couples as long as they meet the requirements of the State Health Regulations Department.
- Gender Choice: Unlike many other countries offering IVF, Mexico in fact allows a couple to choose whether they want a baby girl or boy. This factor alone results in many aspiring parents flocking to Mexico for help.
- Donation of Embryos: The donation of embryos is legal and readily available in Mexico. This is when a couple receiving IVF have surplus embryos and they donate them to other couples. These embryos can be frozen for future use.
- Donation of Eggs: This is readily permitted and available in Mexico. Some clinics also allow recipients to see the photo of the donor, which is not the case in most other countries.
- Donation of Sperm: Sperm donation is also prolific in Mexico. Donors must be between the ages or 18-35, be mentally and physically healthy and without any diseases.
In northern Mexico, this city is just over the border from the USA. If you choose Mexicali for your IVF treatment, you will be able to experience the combination of industry with art galleries and museums. If it’s the beauty of nature you need during your free time between clinic appointments, what better than a stroll in the City Woods and Zoo? Or let the wind blow your hair back on the Dunas de los Algodones. Relax as you take in the ambiance of the Mexicali Valley and the Green Salt Lagoon.
This border city is a mere 25km from San Diego International Airport. It is also home to assisted reproduction facilities where you may choose to pursue your pregnancy dreams. At the same time, you can explore the main street Avenida Revolución, visit the souvenir shops and bars, or the Cultural Center and Jai Alai Frontón Palace. And if you feel up to watching a wrestling match, you can find one at the stadiums in Tijuana. Or perhaps you would like to relax at the nearby beaches of Rosarito in between your IVF treatments.
Situated on the South East coast of Mexico, Cancún’s fertility centers are a good option for assisted reproduction. Make sure you take a strong sunscreen when you visit the beaches and an insect repellent for the evenings. As far as the IVF treatments go, clinics here have a high success rate of achieving pregnancy on the first cycle. During your free time, you can visit the Ancient Mayan ruins or the Mayan-themed eco park. Or how about sailing on the lagoon, or taking a ferry to one of the nearby islands?
With its picturesque location, sunny climate and cultural attractions, Puerto Vallarta, has a lot to offer couples seeking a child. If you have chosen one of the IVF clinics in Puerto Vallarta, you will be able to soak in the sights and sounds of one of Mexico’s top tourist destinations. Besides the stunning beach on the Pacific coast, there are tropical forests, rivers, mountains, mangrove marshes and green plains.
Interested in IVF in Mexico? Get in touch!
Licensed IVF Consultant
Familitas has partnered with Dimitris Kavakas, one of the leading experts on IVF travel to Mexico. We are excited to announce that, for a limited period, Dimitris is offering free consultations to Familitas readers.
Get Multiple Quotes at Once
Why research hours upon hours to compare IVF quotes across different countries and clinics if you can get a personal quote from multiple providers with just a couple of clicks. Request your free quote today and compare all offers at a glance.