IVF in Latvia: Everything you need to know
Latvia is a popular choice for IVF treatment in northern Europe, especially for young women and couples in Scandinavia. Each year thousands of Swedes, Danes and Finns make the short trip across the Baltic Sea to benefit from the state of the art facilities this small but progressive Nordic nation has to offer.
Get Expert Advice on IVF in Latvia
The Republic of Latvia in the Baltic Region of northern Europe is a definite contender when it comes to assisted reproduction and IVF treatments. There are about a dozen fertility clinics and medical facilities which provide excellent services, giving hope and joy to many childless couples who come for treatment.
If you are in search of IVF to fulfil your pregnancy dreams, then perhaps Latvia might be the country for you. Read on to discover some of the main features and what you might expect. For more detailed information on IVF in Latvia you may want to consider our free phone consultation with an IVF expert, or request a quote.
Why choose Latvia for your IVF experience?
- Competitive Costs: IVF costs can be extremely high in countries such as the USA or UK, but in Latvia the same treatments are available at a fraction of the cost.
- Quality and Safety: Even though the costs are low in Latvia, the standards of diagnostics and treatment remain high, with professional and experienced infertility specialists in attendance. Each couple is handled on an individual basis with a customized treatment plan according to their personal needs and desires.
- Travel and Accommodation: Latvia’s capital city of Riga is where most of the IVF clinics are situated. Travel to Riga is easy, either by plane, bus or ferry. Some clinics provide an airport pick up service. Certain clinics also have discount arrangements with particular hotels in Riga which are within walking distance of the clinic.
- Communication: All communication at Latvian clinics is in English, Russian, Latvian and a few other European languages. Patients may request translation services if required.
- Comprehensive Treatments: The most advanced IVF procedures are used in Latvia, including microinjection (ICSI), intrauterine insemination (IUI) and testicular sperm aspiration (TESA). Embryo’s can be genetically tested before implantation. Oncofertility procedures are also available whereby ovarian tissue is removed before a patient undergoes cancer treatment. The tissue is frozen using vitrification technology, until such time as the patient is recovered and then the tissue is replaced in the body to restore the natural reproductive cycle and thus increase the chances of pregnancy.
- Success Rates: Latvia has a high success rate with some IVF clinics achieving over 70% for women up to the age of 30, and over 50% pregnancies after the first cycle of treatment.
What are the legal aspects of IVF in Latvia?
- Surrogacy: In 2002 the ‘Sexual and Reproductive Health Law’ was instituted whereby artificial insemination became legal as a method of combating infertility. This included the possibility of surrogate motherhood. Application for surrogacy must be submitted in writing to the medical institution, and then due assessment will be made before an agreement can be drawn up and signed by all parties concerned.
- Egg Donors: In Latvia, egg donation is anonymous and recipients are not allowed to meet or know the identity of a donor. Certain general characteristics are revealed such as eye and hair colour. Donors must be between the ages of 18 and 34 and they are strictly screened to ensure excellent physical and mental health.
- Sperm Donors: Latvian law allows any healthy male between the ages of 18 and 41 to become a sperm donor. Examinations and tests are conducted to make sure that no diseases, infections or mental illnesses are present. Latvia has its own sperm bank as well as accessing the European Sperm Bank.
- Age Limits: In most countries the cut-off age for women seeking IVF treatment is 50 years. However some clinics in Latvia offer assistance over the age of 50 and one success story is of a 55 year old woman becoming pregnant.
The Republic of Latvia is an EU and Schengen member, with its international airport in Riga being one of the busiest in Eastern Europe. There are budget airlines such as Wizzair and Ryanair to facilitate your travel. If you have chosen Riga as your fertility tourism destination you can prepare to enjoy one of the greenest cities along the Baltic coast line. Riga is tucked into the Gulf of Riga, at the mouth of the Daugava River. During your free time you may enjoy exploring the rich culture of the city with its many museums and concert halls. The Old Town pedestrian area has plenty of shops and restaurants as well as bars and nightclubs.
Another venue in Latvia where you can receive IVF assistance is Jurmala. This resort city is slightly west of Riga and is also on the Gulf of Riga. Long sandy beaches are the perfect setting to relax and unwind while you are undergoing your treatments. Other attractions include the Dzintari Forest Park and Concert Hall. Or take a gentle stroll along the banks of the Lielupe River and discover the city’s history at the Jurmala City Museum.
Interested in IVF in Latvia? Get in touch!
Licensed IVF Consultant
Familitas has partnered with Dimitris Kavakas. Based in London UK, and himself a native Greek, he is one of Europe´s leading experts on IVF travel to Latvia. We are excited to announce that, for a limited period, Dimitris is offering free consultations to Familitas readers.
Get Multiple Quotes at Once
Why research hours upon hours to compare IVF quotes across different countries and clinics if you can get a personal quote from multiple providers with just a couple of clicks. Request your free quote today and compare all offers at a glance.