IVF in Greece: Everything you need to know
Greece is a popular choice for many couples seeking to start a family who have happily found the answer to their assisted reproduction needs at one of at least 50 IVF clinics throughout the country. Have you ever considered Greece as a possible destination for the treatment you need? Learn all about this popular IVF destination here!
Get Expert Advice on IVF in Greece
If you are considering taking the IVF route to pursue your family dreams, you are no doubt anxious to do as much research as possible beforehand so that you can find the best option to suit your own particular circumstances. Here are some considerations to help you decide if you are thinking of Greece as a possible IVF destination.
Greece is regional “superpower” in IVF due to well-priced programs, a liberal legal framework and its famous culture of hospitality. In this article our IVF experts have summarized the most important facts about IVF in Greece. For more information, schedule a free consultation or request quotes from multiple Greek IVF clinics.
Why choose Greece for your IVF experience?
Greece has become an increasingly desirable country for couples seeking IVF help to start a family of their own, and here are some of the reasons why:
- Travel Convenience: There are numerous budget airlines which fly to locations throughout Greece, making travel to and from the treatment center easy and economical.
- Low Costs: Costs of IVF treatments in Greece can be significantly less expensive than in other European countries.
- Anonymous Donors: The anonymity of egg and sperm donors in Greece means that there is an abundant supply resulting in virtually no waiting periods at all.
- Safety and Quality: IVF Clinic Staff in Greece are well trained and experienced, providing high-quality service. Facilities are well regulated with inspections being done by the Ministry of Health without notice. Most Clinics have ISO Accreditation.
- Greek Hospitality: Greece is well known for its warm hospitality, not to mention the stunning views and inviting beaches.
- Online Feedback: Many couples have already had great experiences at IVF clinics in Greece, so there is plenty of feedback available online, helping you to get a good idea of what you could expect.
What are the legal aspects of IVF in Greece?
Greece may be considered one of the more liberal countries for assisted reproduction treatment, but nevertheless there are regulations in place as follows, according to the law issued in 2005:
- Egg and Sperm Donation: Donors remain anonymous in Greece. They need to undergo blood tests for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, and Syphilis.
- Embryo Donation: In Greece it is legal for a couple to donate their surplus embryos anonymously. Embryos may be frozen and kept in storage for up to ten years.
- Age Limits: The upper age limit for women to receive IVF treatment is 50 years. There is no limit for men.
- Embryo Transfers: There are strict limitations in place regarding the number of transfers allowed, depending on the woman’s age and whether her own eggs or donor eggs are being used.
- Singles and Same Sex: Officially it is not legal for same sex couples to have IVF treatment. However there is a way around this whereby a notarial deed is signed and one person has treatment as a single.
- Gender Selection: For medical reasons only, it would be permitted to choose the sex of your child.
Before surrogacy can take place a court procedure is necessary and it is only available for permanent residents of Greece.
Athens is not only the capital of Greece but also the Historical capital of Europe. If you attend an IVF Clinic in Athens you will have a wide choice of quality hotel accommodation, modern transportation, shops, restaurants and nightlife, all accompanied by warm Greek hospitality. During your free time between your clinic appointments you can enjoy strolling through the pedestrian area at the center of Athens where you will experience all the notable historical sites including the temple of Olympian Zeus, the sacred Acropolis and the Parthenon.
This northern port city is the second largest city after Athens. It’s a good choice for IVF treatment as several quality-assisted reproduction facilities are located here. Thessaloniki is a multicultural city with a charming combination of ancient and modern. The unmistakable historical heritage is offset by the trendy and business-oriented vibe. Whether you choose the traditional tavernas, gourmet restaurants or cafes and bars, all your dining needs and wants will be well catered for in Thessaloniki. And depending on when you visit you may be treated to some of the many festivals and exhibitions hosted by the city.
This Mediterranean island is a favorite tourist destination where you may well choose to have your IVF treatment at the capital city of Heraklion. It is only 15 minutes from the international airport, and there are luxury hotels, bungalows and various types of accommodation to suit your needs. Experiences you may enjoy to make your IVF experience unforgettable include the renowned Cretan cuisine, cinemas and nightlife as well as soaking in the tranquillity and beauty of the island. Don’t miss the archaeological museum and the rich history of Crete, while you are busy building your own family history with your IVF treatment.
Interested in IVF in Greece? Get in touch!
Licensed IVF Consultant
Familitas has partnered with Dimitris Kavakas. Based in London UK, and himself a native Greek, he is one of Europe´s leading experts on IVF travel to Greece. We are excited to announce that, for a limited period, Dimitris is offering free consultations to Familitas readers.
Get Multiple Quotes at Once
Why research hours upon hours to compare IVF quotes across different countries and clinics if you can get a personal quote from multiple providers with just a couple of clicks. Request your free quote today and compare all offers at a glance.